KateBond

Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson

Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan Series #1)

Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison 2.5 stars.(I'm writing this at 3:30 am, so it may not be terribly coherent)The author makes a big mistake in the opening of this novel: She paints a confusing, wishy-washy portrait of our heroine, bounty hunter Rachel Morgan, and then never really fixes it. When we meet Rachel, she is, while seemingly perfectly competent, at a low point in her career. She is doing her job well, but keeps giving us dumb excuses for why shit is going wrong for her. It is genuinely confusing--I didn't know whether to think she was bad at her job or really good and unlucky. Later in the novel we learn that Rachel was set up to fail by a certain nefarious person, but at this point her character flips and becomes mind-numbingly incompetent--missing even the most basic clues that even the least perceptive of readers will pick up (everything is telegraphed waaaay too far in advance)--and remains that way for the remainder of the novel. I have NO IDEA why or how this happened.Another weird thing: in the world building, around page 30, Rachel (narrating first-person) specifically says that we never made it to the moon because we were busy with bioengineering in the '60s, but HOW THE HELL DOES SHE KNOW THAT'S EVEN A THING? In a world in which humans have not walked on the moon, why would a person ever point out that there was no moon landing? That's like me saying we didn't walk on Jupiter in the '80s. Or that I didn't ride a unicorn last night. I just don't get it.There are also some pretty significant examples of the author using the wrong version of a word, such as gate/gait and lessoned/lessened, and it happens A LOT.The one thing that I REALLY enjoyed about this book was the relationship between Rachel and her sexy lesbian vampire roommate/business partner, Ivy. It is such a classic Mary Sue/Alpha male PNR deal except that Rachel is not a lesbian, so the predatory behavior, while still sexy and fascinating, is allowed to be completely creepy and inappropriate, and it means more when Rachel considers caving under Ivy's advances. I love it! Actually, I love pretty much everything about Ivy. At one point (or maybe it's more than once--Harrison repeats herself a lot) she's described as having a voice "like grey silk." Isn't that lovely?So there's some fun stuff (the bad guy is super creepy and evil and sexy), and apparently the writing gets better as you head further into the series, so I may revisit it, but I'm done for now.If you're interested in reading Kate Daniels without the romantic elements, this series might be right for you.