KateBond

Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson

Partials

Partials - I wanted very much to like this book. I read [b:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?|7082|Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?|Philip K. Dick|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327865673s/7082.jpg|830939] for the first time (I re-read it biennially) when I was nine years old, and ever since then stories about androids and cyborgs and the like have tended to be among my favorites because the metaphors contained within them haunt me in a very specific way.But Partials isn't Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It's not Battlestar Galactica. It's--well, here's the thing: I'm pretty sure any reader who has experienced either of those properties will guess the twist ending here within the first quarter of the book (I was on page 105 when I knew with absolute certainty that the story was going to take the turn it finally took on page 399, and I first suspected the twist would occur when I read the book's description on Amazon before purchasing it. Yes, my superpower is predicting where plots will go long before anyone else, BUT STILL.). I know that this is just the first book in a series, so the twist isn't a big deal, but it kind of is within the context of the story as it currently stands.It also--ugh--this is why it's taken me months to write this review--I can't do it without interrupting myself. Ok. So. Another thing done worse here than in so many other books is that whole "nobody can have a baby/every woman is legally required to get pregnant" thing. I mean. That conceit has been done SO WELL in the past (Kingdom of Men and The Passage come to mind), and I know that this is a young adult novel, but if the idea is too mature to be properly addressed you should cut it out of your book, even if it provides the driving force behind everything ever done by every single character.And I had a really hard time seeing the partials as bad guys when for the entire novel the human government does terrible, horrifying things, and we never directly experience anything bad being done by a Partial. Because of this, there were some truly unremarkable act-outs (Do we call them that in novels? I'm used to talking about scripts.). Frankly, the Partials seem like the least of our protagonist's worries. I think this comes down to a pacing issue, and it may be one that will self-correct as the series progresses.There is one thing that I thought was addressed really, really well, and that was the explanation of where, in this crazy post-apocalyptic world, humans get their supplies. It was clever and obvious and just made really good sense. Other than that, though, I found this to be a really mediocre addition to the genre, and I will not continue reading the rest of the series as it is published.