KateBond

Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson

Pivot Point

Pivot Point - This is a really fun Sliding Doors-style story with the additional fun of the protagonist's being a resident of a secret, hidden town in Texas where everyone has super powers. The author uses a really cool device to let us know which of the two possible futures we are in by starting each chapter with the definition of a word containing either "Norm" or "Para." It's a nice, subtle way to ease you into the switch. Much better than the jarring method of putting one name or word at the beginning of the chapter, as most books with separate narratives or narrators do.The only thing that really bothered me was the story logic on a really basic level: While viewing the future, Addie learns some pretty important stuff--like the identity of a MURDERER. In theory, she should be able to tell people the important things--such as THE IDENTITY OF THE MURDERER--but the author dismisses this by saying that one person can't actually do much of anything to change the future. NOT that it's not possible or legal or whatever for Addie to tell people what happened, but that one person can't change things that much. But if it's true that one person can't change the future with her actions, why is Addie faced with two completely opposite futures based on one decision? You can't really have it both ways, you know? It kind of bums me out that the author basically negated the entire plot with one silly little sentence.Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, and I'm mad excited about reading the sequel, but grrr logic holes.