KateBond

Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson
Easy - Tammara Webber Tammara Webber really has a gift for creating distinctively-voiced characters and allowing them to interact with each other naturally within her stories. Her characters rarely make stupid, arbitrary decisions so the plot can head in the direction that is convenient for the author. I really, really respect what she has done here (and in her other work) without the guidance of a major publisher. It’s pretty remarkable.Before I get into what the story is about and whatever…let us address the elephant in the room: What. Is going on. With the cover. Boy’s. Hair. He looks like such a douchebag. Is it just me? Tell me it’s not just me. Am I too old…? I mean, I’m still in my twenties, and I would N.E.V.E.R sleep with that guy. Or let him touch me with his stubby fingers. No offense, boy–I’m sure you’re a lovely person. Or whatever. Who cares. I’m on painkillers post-surgery; I'm allowed to say mean things.Don't read the synopsis posted on Goodreads. It is dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The book is sweet and fun and sexy and funny. Do not be deceived by the Sweet Valley High-sounding bullshit.The other thing I’d like to get out of the way RIGHT away is that the super obvious twist you saw coming from like page fifteen is resolved less than halfway through the book. It is not a big thing that is expected to shock us. So don’t waste your time being annoyed by it–you’ll just feel stupid later.The relationships among women here are pretty good. People forget that that best part of any given Jane Austin novel is the way she allows her female characters to have their own lives and relationships outside their romantic entanglements with men, and I think that a lot of current romance novelists leave out this crucial piece.And Lucas is a good love interest. There’s some silly melodrama in the last quarter of the book (Because, I mean, come on. We know how it’s gonna end.), but it’s pretty minor. He's not a billionaire, so that's refreshing.Trigger Warning: Rape and sexual assault feature prominently in this story starting on page one–not in a way that makes it seem sexy or exciting, thank goodness, but it’s there, and it can be intense–so tread lightly.