KateBond

Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson
Speechless - Hannah Harrington I'm glad I have this book a second chance--I'd abandoned it after the first chapter left me feeling wary of another cookie-cutter story about white, middle-class morality, and I was really pleasantly surprised to find out that that was just me being a snob. The teenagers talk like teenagers in the best possible way, so while there IS slut-shaming, the perpetrators of it are not characters the reader likes. Same with general misogyny, racism, and homophobia. The relationships between girls, and between the teenage protagonist, Chelsea, and the grown women in her life, are solid and real. And a lot of the bullying Chelsea endures is sexual harassment from boys in her class--unlike in so many stories about 'teens, which tend to weirdly leave out the bullying that occurs across gender lines and place it all on the shoulders of girls. Trigger warning: There's a brutal hate crime at the beginning, but it occurs off-camera. Other than some run-of-the-mill bullying, that's about it.