KateBond

Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson
Legend - Marie Lu So. If I look at this book as a novel for young readers rather than young adults, I like it more than I did in my initial reading. Because I guess there are only so many ways to tell the same story, and this particular version of it is better than 90% of the other published attempts made at it last year, but it just lacks the richness I crave in a dystopian world. There are some serious holes in the world building, and I don't know why the decision was made to push that all back to the sequel. I guess that in theory the suspense of what has actually happened to America and what is going on in the rest of the country is cool, but it doesn't work for me in practice. I like the characters, though. Everyone was reasonably nuanced, and the (URGHHHHH) two person first-person narration didn't kill me. I believe the love story because it's about two fifteen year olds, and "love" happens differently at that age--Romeo and Juliet were written as teenagers because the actions of those characters would be dumb and annoying if they were adults--and the way they become drawn to each other really is sweet.I'm interested enough in where this is heading to read the sequel (even with the obviously set-up love triangle), and (not to get all business-y, but) I think that this particular property would translate really well to the screen because of the simplicity--the things that frustrate me as a reader could turn this into an excellent film in the hands of the right creative team.