KateBond

Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
The Bitter Kingdom
Rae Carson
If I Stay - Gayle Forman This is a sweet novel that I would have liked a lot more had I not read the absolutely phenomenal Before I Fall and Thirteen Reasons Why just before it. This lovely little novel follows the ghost of a 17-year-old girl, Mia, over the course of about a day following a car crash that kills her immediate family. While her body lies in a coma, Mia wanders the hospital and flashes back through her life, remembering the people she has lost and those who remain, determining whether or not to allow herself to die.Mia’s relationships with friends and family–particularly those with best friend Kim, boyfriend Adam, and the deceased parents–feel refreshingly honest and effortless. The tension and angst in the story come as a result of the loss of people Mia cares about (and the potential loss of Mia) rather than from the usual petty shit of young adult romances. Do not believe the blurbs likening this to Twilight. The comparison is not apt. If anything, Mia feels a bit like a Maggie Stiefvater protagonist, and the pace feels similar to that of her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.Speaking of that, pacing is pretty good throughout, though it starts to flag toward the end (I noticed it at around 80% on my Kindle), and the back-and-forth between past and present gets tedious as we get closer to the point when Mia will have to make her decision. I wanted the flashback segments to become significantly shorter as the tension built. That said, the ending is satisfying and gives a great lead-in to the punch in the gut you receive at the top of the sequel.